Comcast announces expansions of its smart, fast, reliable fiber-rich network to seven new cities in Minnesota by the end of 2024. The cities of Corcoran, Cologne, Nowthen, and parts of Grant, Hugo, Rogers and Stillwater Township will see 5x-10x faster upload speeds and smoother connections with the Xfinity Network. The 2024 planned expansion is part of the companys nationwide rollout of multi-gig Internet speeds and adds to Comcasts ongoing $473 million investment across Minnesota over the last three years.
The new planned expansions fulfill a need for fast, reliable, secure broadband service across the state. In June 2023, Comcast completed an expansion to more than 2,300 homes and businesses in the City of Wayzata. Area businesses enjoy broadband speeds of up to 100 Gbps and speeds faster than 1 gigabit per second for residents over standard connections in the home. By the end of 2024 Comcast will also expand into Cologne and extend its network into Nowthen, Corcoran, and throughout parts of Rogers, Grant, Hugo and Stillwater Township with funding support from the State of Minnesotas Border-to-Border Broadband program.
Access to reliable, high-speed broadband is a powerful driver of economic growth and development in our community, said Corcoran Mayor Tom McKee. Internet access is at the center of our modern lives and the quality of those lives will be greatly enhanced thanks to the partnership with Comcast, Hennepin County and the Minnesota Office of Broadband. Together we will be bringing broadband to nearly 500 unserved homes and businesses in Corcoran.
These locations will have the foundational next-generation network in place to begin deploying DOCSIS 4.0, setting the stage for the introduction of new symmetrical multi-gigabit Internet options that will enhance performance across Comcasts existing networks.
The Internet has increasingly become the epicenter of our existence, influencing many aspects of our lives, and people and businesses are consuming more data, said Kalyn Hove, Senior Vice President, Comcast Midwest Region. We are building a future of unlimited possibilities in the Twin Cities and across the Midwest. These expansions, plus planned networks enhancements, will service nearly 14,000 additional homes.
Powered by Xfinity
Comcasts network and Internet experience are powering homes and businesses today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect more than 1 billion devices across the companys network annually. With the next-generation Xfinity gateways we deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products. Recently, Comcast connected the first customers in the world to a DOCSIS 4.0 connection, delivering symmetrical gig speeds over existing connections in customers homes with plans to continue to rollout these speeds across the country, including the Twin Cities, over the coming years.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas of the home.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nations largest and most reliable network that passes 62 million homes and business and counting. The company launched Storm-Ready WiFi, a new device that comes powered with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The Xfinity Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
The Xfinity Network is also self-monitoring and uses AI to detect potential problems before they arise, delivering a reliable connection that is up and running in customers homes 99% of the time. Visit Xfinity to learn more and sign up for these exciting new products.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company. From the connectivity and platforms we provide, to the content and experiences we create, our businesses reach hundreds of millions of customers, viewers, and guests worldwide. We deliver world-class broadband, wireless, and video through Xfinity, Comcast Business, and Sky; produce, distribute, and stream leading entertainment, sports, and news through brands including NBC, Telemundo, Universal, Peacock, and Sky; and bring incredible theme parks and attractions to life through Universal Destinations & Experiences. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
View source version on newsdirect.com: https://newsdirect.com/news/comcast-expanding-network-in-minnesota-584682697
Comcast Twin Cities
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Herald Port journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.